Thirteen in '13

Happy almost-Christmas everyone!  Are you done with  your shopping, and baking and wrapping and everything?  I am not.   That is what today is for.  Today will be bring all the presents and wrapping paper and bows and ribbon down to my living room and turn on all the Christmas lights and put on the holiday music and wrap away. 
 
But, before I do that, I thought I would link up my little blog with a few bigger blogs (like, way bigger....) for a
http://www.ateenytinyteacher.com/2013/12/13-in-13-linky-party.html
Here we go!

This one is easy - shoes!  Any shoes, thank you... flip flops, sandals, boots, etc.  Here is my most recent purchase
http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/50067-1030392/Madden+Girl/Grey/Womens+Pinup.aspx
I am not a shoe snob (as you will see if you click on the picture to follow the link) - if they're cute and comfy, I'm in.  I already had this pair in black, but they were so comfortable I needed the grey, too.  I don't have many grey boots.  Love!
 
This reminds me of a story from Friday before vacation.  One of my kiddos was talking to me about the present he had gotten me. 
Kiddo:  "Ms. G. I couldn't get you the present I wanted to because my Mom wouldn't let me."
 
Me:  insert assurances from me that no present was needed, etc....
 
Kid response: "Yeah, she said high heels would not be appropriate."
 
Crack.Me.Up!!  And whoever said they would not be appropriate obviously has not been in my closet.  (He gave me a gift card to a shoe store, by the way :-)
 
OK, I admit it.  I do not watch movies.  Seems I do not have the attention span.  How about a movie I WANT to watch?  I have not seen "Heat" yet, with Sandra Bullock... so maybe I can find it on Netflix or Hulu or something this coming week.
 
I really like the "The Amazing Race".  Does that count as a series?  It comes on every week so it must.  All these teams travel to far away places and do crazy things on a race around the world.  Every time I watch it I realize why I am not on it.  I get car sick, plane sick, boat sick, motion sick.... I won't eat bugs, jump off of high places, swim in alligator infested rivers, etc.  Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
 
Not much to say here.  Good food is good food.  Anything with chicken, seafood or potatoes works for me.  I like soup and sandwiches, so Panera Bread is a favorite.  That's not really a restaurant, though.  There is a great place about 45 minutes from me called "The Chowder Pot."  They have shrimp cocktail the size of your hand and the best lobster bisque in the world. 
 
Oh my.  I do not try new things.  I am very much a creature of habit.  But I did try blogging this year and I am definitely enjoying it!  Although I have not had the time I would like to put into it, I'm having fun getting my feet wet and sharing what goes on in my little part of the teaching world.  I also tried something else new, although it was definitely NOT my favorite thing.  I am proud to say I camped outside in a tent for the whole night.  Those who are with me will say I did not camp (the queen size mattress, space heater and the fact that it was 10 feet from the doorway will take away some of the camping experience), but for me anything that involves sleeping outside of the house and not in my own bed qualifies as camping, thank you very much. 
 
This is a tough one.  I can't say I have a favorite gift from this year.  I much prefer to give than receive.  My favorite gifts are little things, like the birdhouse made for me to add to my wildlife area in my backyard... or the dark chocolate and peanut butter candy my Dad picks up for me once in a while... I think being able to have the summer off to spend time with the people I love is a great gift.  Sappy, I know, but that's me.

 
I don't pin too many exciting things.  I pin stuff for my classroom a lot, but I did also pin this
http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/03/better-than-sex-chex-mix/
Enough said.
 


I just started blogging at the beginning of this school year, so I do not have a ton of posts.  I think the one I like best so far is about how I use my ipad in my classroom.  I really love integrating technology into everything I do and I plan on sharing more tech-related posts this coming year.  I am thrilled to say I now have TWO ipads - so the fun is doubled!
 

This one is easy.  I am so proud of my little TpT store and the fact that other teachers have found what I create useful.  I absolutely LOVE creating new products and knowing that they are being used in other classrooms is a wonderful feeling. 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Second-Grade-Stories
 

I LOVE taking pictures.  I used to be part of a sports photography business and photographed a ton of youth sports.  While I am no longer an official sports photographer, I still love taking pictures at my niece and nephews and friends sporting events, as well as in my classroom.  This picture is not one I took, but it's a pretty shot of a very relaxing spot.
 
 

My favorite picture also goes with my favorite memory.  I had a wonderful summer, filled with trips with friends and family.  The picture above is in VT on a friend of mine's family property.  We hiked up the mountain, swam in the river (cold!!), had campfires and just relaxed.  It was beautiful.  The places I went were not what made the memories, but the time I spent with everyone.  Of course, I could have done without the 10 hour car ride to Myrtle Beach, the run-down motels we stayed at or the constant cold rain the whole time we were in Old Orchard beach...some parts are better left out :-)

Earlier this school year, someone shared with me a quote from James Patterson about juggling everything in your life. 
This really stuck with me and I'm going to use this as my goal for 2014.  There are so many challenges each of us have in our lives, and often times we forget what is really important.  If you click HERE, you can read the full excerpt from the book about HOW to keep things in balance.  Definitely words to live by.
 


To go with my goal, I'm choosing the word
With all the craziness going on in education right now - all the new initiatives, expectations, evaluations and more... it is so important to realize that we cannot do our best job as a teacher if we don't take care of ourselves and our own lives first.  The rest will fall into place. 
 
Well, that's it!  I'm off to wrap my little heart out and enjoy some Christmas cheer.  I may just have to run to DD and get me some peppermint mocha hot chocolate, too.  Happy Holidays!

 

2 comments

  1. Stopping by from the linky party. I could totally relate to finding balance in your life. That's my one little word as well as my goal.

    Happy Holidays!1

    Resource Room Rules

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're iPad post was one of my favorites, too. Definitely get the peppermint mocha hot chocolate! Have a fun wrapping day. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top