Monday Math Linky

Woo-hoo!  I'm so happy to be meeting up with my pajamas once again for a full day together!  Three day weekends are always welcome.  Just a short post today before I get back to all the work I've avoided this weekend...

I'm linking up with Jess over at I (HEART) Recess for her Mathematical Monday linky party.
http://iheartrecess.blogspot.com/2014/01/mathematical-monday-freebie-linky-party.html
The Common Core has very little money practice in the younger grades - yet by second and third grade students are expected to know how to solve problems using money!  That's kind of hard to do when they haven't had experiences identifying coins, counting money and making change! 
 
I try to connect money to what we're doing any time I can - counting days of school, lunch money, etc.  And I sneak in some money centers and skills for our math time, too!  Here's a fun freebie from my TpT store to help your kiddos practice counting groups of coins.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Money-Cards-Read-the-Room-freebie-750614
It is part of my bigger set of money Read-the-Room cards, which you can find HERE.
 
And, because I like incorporating technology into my day, here's a great activity from ABCya.com
http://www.abcya.com/counting_money.htm
There's also a multi-level Money BINGO game that's great practice, too.  And if you're looking for the app for your ipads... here it is
 
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/counting-money-bingo/id571405765?mt=8
 
Be sure to click on the link at the top of this post to visit the linky party and find more great math freebies!  


2 comments

  1. Thanks for linking up! i couldn't agree more with you about students required to know money in 2nd and 3rd but aren't taught it in the early grades. My 1st grade son is showing interest in learning money, so this post it great for us! Can't wait to use your money cards with him too!

    Jess
    I {Heart} Recess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree about money. I was observing in a third grade (I teach 1st) and I noticed kids didn't even know where to put the decimal point. I started to include dollar signs and decimal points in my stories. So many little things we can do to prepare them.

    Deb
    Not very fancy

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top